Sunday, August 6, 2017

Reading Together

In Term 1 2017 I ran 3 Reading Together Sessions with our parents from whanau in Heretaunga Ararau and Heretaunga Haukunui.




There was an average turn out of 23 families represented.
13% of families were represented on our ESOL register
21% were Maori learner families
From Heretaunga Ararau it was great to see 5 of our target students had their families represent them.


Whanau voice:
"We really enjoyed the introduction session and seeing the teachers role play the different scenarios with reading at home.  It's quite cool to see that it's what kids do and not just ours!"

"The booklet of code was interesting and hard.  Reminded me of what it must be like for Peter.  This programme was really awesome."

"Lots of it I already know but it was good to be reminded.  I'm pleased my husband came too and I know I have to chill out about teaching my child to read.  There's a bit of my own anxiety there."

"It was good but probably earlier on in the year would be better cos it's still light."

"I couldn't come to as many as I wanted to because the time was a bit late but the bits I got to were good."

Children's voice:
"Mum thinks I'm really good at reading."

"I can read heaps of books after school."

"I like these books (points to them) because I know them and they aren't too hard for me."


The programme was celebrated on our school Facebook page and picked up by Graeme Marshall, the Strategy Manager for Reading Together within the MOE.  Graeme was able to give me information on the Early Reading Together programme as well as the Talk Matters professional development through Comet.  See next steps.


Next steps:
  • Run another Reading Together in Term 4.
  • Consider adding Reading Together to the transition programme.
  • Enquire into the Comet Talking Matters programme as part of my TAI.


No comments:

Post a Comment