Friday, February 15, 2019

DMIC PLD - Talk Moves

TALK MOVES

After launching a problem one of the first talk moves to use is repeating.  In the coaching sessions that I have been a part of, it's proven to be the best talk move to use when teaching students how DMIC mathematics sessions work.  Keeps everybody paying attention!


Once we have repeated the information to a point that I am happy we have understood the story so far, we use the 'add on' talk move.


I found it really hard once these two talk moves were used, to move the lesson on in a way that wasn't me owning the talk and therefore learning.  I began over questioning and Generosa was able to 'pause' me and show how we can simply 'revoice'.


At this point in the learning process for my little guys, it seems that to keep momentum in the lesson I can say, "So, what is it asking us to find out?".  I need to focus on the concepts not strategies.  

Wait time has been so important.  In my coaching sessions, the really great examples were Blake, Grace, Sarah and Deja.  Deja cried and then managed to self-correct herself so she could rejoin the lesson by just being given proximal silent support.  Blake was able to continue to repeat his explanation without the teaching taking over his idea.  Sarah was unable to repeat but by staying quiet, Lacey was able to help her - peer support and more child talk!  Grace proved to be a lot more confident that I thought she would!


My next step:


This will be further down the track for my students as they learn this process but I will keep modelling this so when they are ready, they have been used to the language.

I also need to set up the scrapbooks and have them ready to go.

Plenty of maths eyes posters and the protocol for doing them as well as maths games are ready to go for the second group not working with me.  I'll reassess this once the week has finished as what the group 'not with you' does will be critical.

I also want to focus mostly on launching a problem correctly.  Especially writing the problem - you want it relevant but not too specific to the children as they get lost in the specifics of the memory etc...









No comments:

Post a Comment